Aug. 1st, 2010 03:21 am
[identity profile] proudtobegreen.livejournal.com posting in [community profile] menstrualhut
OK this might be a stupid question but i really need to get on birth control and i called the doctors office and they aren't telling me anything.

Do i need to go to an OBYGN or can i go to the doctor? I guess this doctor that my friend goes to I have an appointment for September, and they said they can do pap smears or whatever..but I'm really confused can you help me?

Date: 2010-08-01 08:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nullified73.livejournal.com
OBGYN is who would give you birth control. A regular DR will not.

Date: 2010-08-01 04:57 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] frolicnaked.livejournal.com
This isn't categorically true. While not all general practitioners will prescribe hormonal birth control, there are still plenty who will.

Date: 2010-08-01 08:37 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] goingdriftless.livejournal.com
Not so.

I went to my family practice doctor for years and years for my birth control. I even had my first IUD inserted by a GP. It was only after I had some specific gyn issues that I went to a gyn. If you are comfortable with your family practice doctor, go with him/her. If for some reason s/he won't do it, then ask for a referral to a gyn that your doctor trusts.

Date: 2010-08-01 10:32 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] winifred.livejournal.com
Any doctor can write you a prescription for birth control pills. It's a matter of if they will. If you already have an established relationship with your doctor, ask. They can discuss with you the options available and either prescribe the appropriate pill or direct you to an OB/GYN if the circumstances dictate.

If your doctors office isn't telling you anything you may need to rephrase your question. The receptionist that makes your appointment isn't going to give you any medical advice, but you can always ask for her to have a nurse call you back.

Date: 2010-08-01 12:53 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] krasota.livejournal.com
Generally speaking, if a doctor will do well woman care, that doctor will also write out a prescription for birth control.

My old internist used to take care of my well woman care for me. My current family GP prefers that I see a gynecologist.

Date: 2010-08-01 01:45 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] slave-stasha.livejournal.com
That is what I thought as well a GP that will also do paps and stuff would also be willing to give a prescription for BC.

Re: Oops

Date: 2010-08-01 07:17 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] winifred.livejournal.com
That sucks, but it shouldn't keep you from asking the GP you've chosen as your primary caregiver. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

Date: 2010-08-01 02:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] herongrrrl.livejournal.com
You can also get hormonal birth control at Planned Parenthood if there's one near you. It may not be an actual OB/GYN doing the prescription, but they can write them there, and it may be easier to get an appointment there than getting in to a private OB/GYN practice as a new patient if your GP won't do it for you.

Date: 2010-08-01 05:14 pm (UTC)
ext_10: books and tea (Default)
From: [identity profile] marcelle42.livejournal.com
Some regular doctors (internists, primary care physicians, general practitioners) will do a pelvic exam and prescribe birth control. Some won't, and will refer you to a gynecologist for those things. Start by asking your regular doctor. Just say, "I want to go on birth control," and s/he will guide you from there.

Planned parenthood offers both gynecological exams, and prescribes birth control without exams, and they're almost the only ones that do. Almost everyone else is going to make you have an exam, including a pap smear, before they will prescribe birth control.

If you are over 18 and/or sexually active, it's a good idea to have an exam annually, anyway.

Date: 2010-08-04 05:06 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] purple-obsidian.livejournal.com
I wonder if things are different in different countries.... Here in Australia it seems you only go to a Gyno if you have a problem... they are considered a specialist..... like you'd have to go see a knee specialist if you had knee problems beyond what a GP could do...

Pap tests, the pill... all that sort of thing are generally only ever done by a GP here...

I ended up having to go to a gyno for my PCOS diagnosis, but that was only because my GP isn't very good at the best of times (but she's the only female Dr around here)... but she'd booked my blood test and ultrasound and everything, it was only because I was convinced I had it, and she said the results showed I didn't, that I wanted a second opinion, so I figured I'd get a referral to the gyno my mum had seen her her hysterectomy (because she said he was really nice).

Doctor Visiting

Date: 2010-12-04 08:48 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] pinkmath.livejournal.com
My dermatologist (male) prescribed me birth control. But since visiting him is $20 more than than see my General Practitioner (GP female).
I now get my prescription through her. I did not need a Pap smear because I am not sexually active. I did need to pee in a cup to prove I was not pregnant. (I am pretty sure that was just the practice because the clinic is affiliated with the Catholic Church.)
She told me that I did not need a Pap smear until I become sexually active. Or after I was 21.

June 2012

1718 1920212223

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 23rd, 2017 03:47 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios